STEAM Activity: Paper Lantern
Updated: Mar 26, 2021
STEM Sparkers, happy Lunar New Year! Lunar New Year is February 12 of this year (2021). It is the year of the Ox. Jack and I made some paper lanterns to better understand the holiday: "[it is a] festival typically celebrated in China and other Asian countries that begins with the first new moon of the lunar calendar and ends on the first full moon of the lunar calendar, 15 days later (source Encyclopedia Britannica)." Read below on how to make your own paper lanterns.
Tape or Glue
1) Fold the piece of paper in half and then using the ruler, mark one inch intervals along the fold.
2) At the top, mark a one inch by one inch notch using the ruler.
3) Start cutting the one inch intervals that are along the fold.
4) Cut the notch at the top.
5) Unfold the paper and bring the notches together.
6) Tape (or glue) the notches.
7) Using the hole puncher, punch holes at the top. Then string the piper cleaner through the punched holes.
8) Hang your lanterns and enjoy!
I like how this activity combines math, children measure distance with a ruler, and cultural learning. It's a win-win to me! Happy Lunar New Year STEM Sparkers, and of course, happy STEM-ing!